New Mexico Murder Victim
Family Advocacy Project
|PO Box 160||Santa Fe, NM 87504
Why should you write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper?
Write a Letter to the Editor!
Writing a letter to the editor is an easy step that every member of the New Mexico Murder Victim Family Advocacy Project can take to support the recent repeal of the death penalty in New Mexico. Letters in support of repeal keep the issue visible to the general public and to elected officials. The more letters our members write, the more apparent it becomes to legislators that citizens are glad the death penalty has been repealed!
With one short letter, you can impact public opinion, the contents of your newspaper, and the actions of your legislators:
- Letters to the editor educate and help change the minds of thousands of readers.
- Newspaper editors make decisions concerning news coverage and editorials based on how many letters they receive about an issue.
- Politicians watch letters to the editor closely, as a way to gauge public sentiment on issues.
Check with your local newspaper(s) for specific requirements for letters to the editor. Typically letters are required to be in the 100-200 word range. Some newspaper allow for online submission, others allow hard copy letters to be submitted. Click here for a list of newspapers in New Mexico.
Letter to the Editor Tips:
- Write naturally, with conviction and sincerity
- Check all your facts with reputable sources
- Choose 1-2 key points on which to focus
- Keep it short; check with each paper for length restrictions
- Always provide your name, address, phone number and email address. Anonymous letters do not show conviction and sincerity.
- Make your letter unique in some way. Give a fact or story that may be new to the reader. Note if you are a relative or friend of a murder victim, if you have a background in law enforcement or if you another type of connection with the death penalty.
- Submit your letter to multiple newspapers.
Please feel free to contact the New Mexico Murder Victim Family Advocacy Project at 505-986-9536 for facts or advice. As your letters get published, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and send a printed copy to:
New Mexico Murder Victim Family Advocacy Project PO Box 8552 Santa Fe, NM 87504-8552